Söderarm

Norrtälje

The island Torskär is often called Söderarm after the lighthouse that was built here in 1839. The name comes from the relatively shallow open water area that stretches out like two arms toward the Sea of Åland. The lighthouse was built on the southern arm which explains the name "Söderarm" (Southern Arm). Today, it is a public historical building well worth a visit. It's a good idea to bring binoculars! It isn't unusual to see both sea eagles and seals. Another tip is to take along a picnic basket as there are no shops or restaurants on Söderarm. However, there is a conference centre that's open year-round for pre-booked groups. There you can book a time at the wood-fired "bunker sauna", try clay pigeon shooting, spin fishing and kayaking - or why not take a RIB boat ride in the surrounding archipelago?

Contact information

Visit Roslagen - Stockholm Archipelago
Lilla Brogatan 3
76130 Norrtälje
Phone: +46-767650660

E-mail: info@visitroslagen.se
Website: http://www.roslagen.se

Directions

Take the E18 north from Stockholm toward Norrtälje, exit toward Kapellskär and then turn left at the sign toward Gröddö/Räfsnäs. After 2 km, turn right toward Räfsnäs Brygga. Park at the visitor's parking directly to the right. From Räfsnäs, continue by water taxi. The boat trip takes about 30 minutes if there is no ice. Book via Söderarms Fyr by phone 0176-432 12 or 070 326 58 33